Friday, June 4, 2010

My Hero

“Some kids say that hero has a bunch of super powers, but for me would be a lot easier for my hero if he had super powers. My hero doesn’t save lives or hang out with celebrities on a regular basis. Do you know even one movie star that cares for you as much as your dad does?…Yeah, that’s what I thought. Although most kids dream of meeting their role model, I dream under the same roof as mine.

My dad and I spend all the time we can outside. From mountain biking to driving r/c trucks. Mountain biking with my dad is the ultimate adrenaline rush. Once we went when it was pouring down rain. We didn’t turn back no matter how hard we got pelted. After riding 7 miles, we ended up laughing, covered in mud from head to toe and freezing in our garage.

Driving r/c trucks with my dad is so much fun. When we race, the mood gets tense. Squinting against the blazing sun to keep our trucks on course. Even if we both lose, we still come home laughing.

If somebody could make dirt bikes that don’t cause injuries, we would have had them a long time ago. Just one problem…they don’t. Injuries and dirt bikes hold my dad and I together. Every time we go dirt biking we come home with ice packs and lots of laughs.

When we can’t be outside, we like to play video games. We don’t play Mario or Zelda. Dirt biking and skateboarding games are hardly ever taken out of the console. We laugh at every bail, fail and win.

TV is another laugh machine. We have NCIS recorded and Survivor brings out the rival in all of us. Movie night is a big hit in our house. We have a TV in every room except for the one that my dad and I spend the most time in. The garage.

Our garage is our sanctuary. Sawdust is flying everywhere when we are woodworking. Making works of art? No. We make useful contraptions for everyday use. Our mountain bikes take a lot of abuse. Without the garage, they would be in pieces. My dad also helps me fix my scooter with a plethora of tools.

All in all, my dad can’t fly and luckily he doesn’t wear tights. My dad and I come out laughing in all that we do. He is my superhero and that’s what counts. “

By Jeremy Neal

IMG_0330

 Receiving the award from the District Superintendent  and the Principle.

 

IMG_0332

                                 My Hero Award

 

IMG_0337                            Jeremy and his Hero

So proud of my boy! He writes beautifully and with so much heart.

4 comments:

11jeanne11 said...

Beautiful paper, Jeremy! To tell you the truth, you write better than many of the high school students I taught (shhh...don't tell them I said that though). The last time I was there, Mom was telling me about the paper you wrote, but we didn't get around to my being able to read it. I'm so happy that she posted it here for everyone to read. Your father is a very smart, creative and talented man...hmmm let me see; sounds like someone else I know! Oh yeah, YOU! I'm sure you will celebrate him being in your life on Father's Day, but it sounds like you both celebrate life with each other every time you are together! I love you both! Oh, and by the way, I just can't get my brain around the picture of him in tights! LOL
Always lots of love,
Grammy FHTPAATWB

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

That is amazing!! When I was reading it, I wondered what magazine you found this article in. I worked in the University Writing Center my Senior year of my English degree. I am not overreacting when I say Jeremy's writing is better than many freshman at a University.

Amber said...

So sweet! People should read this when they claim that dads are pointless and not neccessary for a child's well being. Dad's are amazing people and indispensable.

Linsey said...

Mandee, Jeremy is a born writer. Oh my gosh! He writes better than I do. He sets up the mode and make you feel right there. Forget about mathematics, this kid needs to write!!!! Seriously Mandee, his creativity and talent blows me away!